Wednesday, April 25, 2012

V is for Victory...


The bases are loaded, there are two outs, and the young man at home plate is feeling the tension.  He grips the bat and prays that it is a home run, usually his hits are caught on a fly, which means an automatic out.  But today is different he feels it, the ball comes toward him and he swings with all his might, and for a second he is frozen in place.  Everyone starts yelling Run, Run, and that he does, first base, second, third and he slides into home as the ball is in the air sailing toward the catcher.  But his foot is on the base before the ball is caught, yes folks that is victory!

The young kids are at the ball field, their first game ever.  They don’t really keep score but they will one of these days.  The little boy on first base is picking up rocks and the girl on second is pulling dandelions and blowing the fuzzies all over. The little girl goes up to home plate and moves back a little, waiting for her coach to place the ball on the tee.  The coach gives her a few reassuring words and gets her hands adjusted on the bat.  He tells her okay, keep your eye on the ball, and she swings and hits the ball.  Folks that is victory!

According to the online free dictionary the word victory means: 1) Defeat of an enemy or opponent; 2) Success in a struggle against difficulties or an obstacle; 3) The state of having triumphed.  Looking at the definition it is easy to see how the two examples above qualify as victories.  In our world there are a lot of things that would qualify as victories, any kind of competition, wars, job interviews, the list goes on and on.

In this world we have an enemy that we are faced with every day, but through faith and belief in Jesus Christ we can have victory even over the devil.

“Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour:” 1 Peter 5:8

“For whatsoever is born of this is the victory that overcometh the world, even our faith.  Who is he that overcometh the world, but he that believeth that Jesus Christ is the Son of God?”  1 John 5:4-5

Victory In Jesus

I heard an old, old story,
How a Savior came from glory,
How He gave His life on Calvary
To save a wretch like me;
I heard about His groaning,
Of His precious blood’s atoning,
Then I repented of my sins
And won the victory!

I heard about a mansion
He has built for me in glory,
And I heard about the streets of gold
Beyond the crystal sea;
About the angels singing,
And the old redemption story,
And some sweet day I’ll sing up there
The song of victory.

O victory in Jesus, My Savior, forever,
He sought me and bo’t me
 With His redeeming blood;
He loved me ere I knew Him
And all my love is due Him
He plunged me to victory,
Beneath the cleansing flood.

Now that is Victory!  Amen!

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life."  John 3:16

until next time… nel

2 comments:

  1. Victory. In God I trust. Today, I achieved my first victory after years of struggle to find a publisher. Wind Over Troubled Waters, co-written with Edith Parzefall, was published while I selpt in England. Yay!

    http://francene-wordstitcher.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for coming by my blog, Nel. Great imagery with the baseball game and praise God we can have victory over the devil!

    ReplyDelete