Friday, April 8, 2011

Poetry Flashbacks...


It seems it is time for Flashback Friday again. If you would like to join in just click on the button above and you will be transported over to Linda’s corner. There you can find the complete prompt for this week.

It seems this month is National Poetry Month, so to celebrate we are talking about poems of our childhood. I love poetry, preferring rhyming over free verse, but I do like both. I took Creative Writing classes in high school. Writing is such a good way to express yourself.

I remember two poems that I memorized in school. One was by Langston Hughes called “Dreams”. Here it is:

Dreams

Hold fast to dreams
For if dreams die
Life is a broken winged bird
That cannot fly.

Hold fast to dreams
For when dreams go
Life is a barren field
Frozen with snow.

By: Langston Hughes



The other was “The Tiger” by William Blake. It was a longer poem but I remembered a friend and I both memorized it and we said in front of the class, she would do a stanza then I would. This was in grade school, and if I remember right we got an A on it. Here are the first two stanzas.


TIGER, tiger, burning bright
In the forests of the night,
What immortal hand or eye
Could frame thy fearful symmetry?

In what distant deeps or skies
Burnt the fire of thine eyes?
On what wings dare he aspire?
What the hand dare seize the fire?

If you would like to read the complete poem click HERE.
Poetry has always been a part of my life. At times I have written the jingles for the inside of cards I have made. I have notebooks with scribbles in them.  I have two poems that I have written that I am pretty proud of. One is called “MY DAD” you can read it HERE. It is at the end of the Veteran’s Post.


The other one is about my friend, Patsy. It actually was included in a book, which is now out of print and I have not been able to locate an old one. I have never included it in a post, but here goes:


My Friend

Patsy was a Special Lady
One sent from above.
It was very plain to see
She was overflowing with love.
Always knew just what to say
When you were feeling blue,
“Don’t worry so, we’ll just pray,
The Lord will see us thru.”

She taught me a lot about Faith and Love
During the time we spent at White River.
“Just give all your cares to the One above
And have faith that He will deliver.”

Patsy was a dear friend,
My Special Prayer Partner.
On Her I always could depend,
To take my request to the Father.

Patsy in now in Heaven,
Our loss it seems so great...
But we will see her again
When we make it thru the Heavenly Gate.

Nel Curtis
1999



until next time… nel







6 comments:

  1. Makes me want to memorize some poetry : ) I love poetry...I don't remember having to memorize a lot as a kid but my dad memorized poems and we'd say them along with him. Have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your poem is a nice tribute to a friend. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed reading your poems. Such sweet tributes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Nel ~~ Thank you for sharing. Your Dad was a dear man, so very dear to you. I loved your poem of and for him.

    Patsy was a special friend for you as well as a special lady. I hope you can find that bood. I am VERY glad you could dig up your poem.
    Did you dig it out of memory or from a scrap book?
    ..

    ReplyDelete
  5. I always think it is touching when people can write poems about a friend or loved one, they are so special.

    God bless you!
    Bethany

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really like your poetry, Nel! I haven't written any in a long time, but used to write quite a bit of poetry in my younger years.

    Blessings...

    ReplyDelete