Saturday, October 11, 2008

Genealogy - Another First

Genealogy - boring??? I used to think the same thing. Someone would mention that they were looking into their family history and I would automatically think...they need to get a life. How boring can you get?
But actually it can be very interesting, and quite addicting. I started on my mom's side. Her maiden name was Reynolds. I have traced the trunk line back 62 generations to the year 0193. Yngvi - King in Turkey. There are better records if there is royalty involved.
According to the Wikipedia, Reginald de Dunstanville Reynolds FitzRoy was the Sheriff of Devon, Earl of Cornwall and was an illegitimate son of King Henry I of England and Lady Sybilla Corbet. Reginald was in our trunk line - 25 generations back.

I am now working on the branches, filling in holes, researching different questions. My great-great -great grandma was full blooded indian, and I am trying to find her name.
I also am looking forward to researching my granny's side. I found out last year that she had a different mom than her brothers and sisters, no one could actually tell me what her name was, but prayers were answered when one of my aunts found their marriage certificate. So now I will have something to go on.
There is alot of information available online and at the libraries. And of course, older relatives can tell you alot. I wish I would of listened more and asked my mom and dad questions about their grandparents.
I would like to challenge everyone, check out your family history, do some research, talk to your parents or grandparents about their relatives, while you can, it can be very rewarding.
Finding out we were related to King Henry I was exciting, but I already knew I was a child of the King! The One who really makes a difference if we just let Him.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." John 3:16

1 comment:

  1. I am just now starting to get interested in this. What do you suggest as the best way to get started? I know very little about my family.

    ReplyDelete