Sunday, October 19, 2008

Eden Jade's Story

So sorry for the long blog, but just felt like this was something the Lord wanted me to share.

Do you ever have one of those days where nothing goes right? You feel like you should of stayed in bed, with the covers pulled up over your head? Just not feeling up to par? We all have those days once in awhile. But for me all it takes is a phone call from a little girl in Arkansas saying “Hi Ganny.” And just for a split second the world stops and everything is on track again. Eden Jade is my fix, just those two words. Yes, she does have me wrapped, but let me share her story. There is also an album of Eden’s story in my pictures.

She came into this world on July 14th weighing 5lbs 4 oz and 17 ½ inches long. She was approximately 6 weeks early. Momma and Daddy knew immediately something was wrong when the nurses let them see her for a second in passing, and then whisked her off to the nursery. Being the person I am, standing at the window was not enough; I had to get a closer look. I was allowed to go in and take a couple pictures. They had an oxygen tent around her and monitors on, and a suctioning tube going down her throat. I have to admit I was scared. Usually as a mom we think we can fix everything for our kids, but not this time. After what seemed like forever, they informed us that they felt it would be better to transfer her to Children’s Hospital in Little Rock. She would be taken by med-flight.

My heart was breaking for my daughter. It was hard enough, Eden was my grandbaby, but she was Jan’s baby. And to see your kid hurting, and upset, it was almost more than I could take. So I proceeded outside to get some pics of Angel 1 and talk to our Lord and Savior. I watched as they disappeared in the distance, feeling at peace knowing she was in God’s hands. Eden’s daddy and the other grandparents followed her to Little Rock. I stayed at Russellville with Janice and we went down the next morning.

Eden was hooked to a ventilator, so she could breathe easier, along with a lot of monitors. At 3 days old, exploratory surgery was performed where they found a blockage. They had to do a small bowel resection. They removed about 10 inches of her small bowel that was not developed properly. She also had a blood transfusion.

She had a very bad case of reflux. Everything in her tummy would come up in her mouth if she were on her back. Also she aspirated if she took anything by mouth. They performed a nissen procedure, where the stomach is brought up over the end of the esophagus and stitched, which helped with the reflux. They inserted a button in her stomach for G tube feedings.
Finally at 3 weeks old mommy could hold her for the first time. Praise the Lord! And 3 weeks later she got to come home.

Eden never knew what a bottle was, she was tube fed through her button, until she was about 21 months old. You can tell in the pictures she had no idea what to do with her birthday cake at a year old.

She is 27 months old now and still has to drink thickened liquids, but she finally got her button out in September. She can now eat anything and everything she wants. She is a happy go lucky little girl who is not afraid of anything. Her momma is very brave and has met every hurdle head on. I believe those first 3 weeks, although family could not hold her, someone bigger had her right in the palm of His hand. I would like to thank everyone at Children’s Hospital, the crew in Angel 1, the staff St. Mary’s Hospital at Russellville, and her therapists, but most of all…Thank you Jesus!
“Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart; and ye shall find rest unto your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.” Matthew 11:28-30

1 comment:

  1. Christina Clayton QuallsNovember 4, 2008 at 12:38 AM

    I teared up while reading this! Praise God! Eden is such a beautiful little girl...and even though I hardly ever see her anymore I do think an awful lot of her Momma.