Friday, December 10, 2010

Christmas Activities...


It's that fun time of the week when Linda has us exercising our brains.  If you would like to join in hop over to Mocha With Linda and get the prompt then link back so we can all enjoy your memories.  But first read mine, you know you want to...

This week we are talking about Christmas activities at school or church.  I know it is hard to believe but I don't have a lot to say this week.  I do not have a lot of memories when it comes to school and we really did not attend church when I was at home, so....

Here we go:

It is strange I do not have a lot of memories of School Christmas Activities.  I remember a few parties at school during Christmas, mom was never there she was always working.  There were some of the girls, their moms were always there and always laughing always a part of everything and I promised myself if I ever had kids that is what I would do.  I do not think I ever missed one of Jan's parties, I always got off work so I could go.  And don't get me wrong, I do understand now why she was not there, but it sure was hard to when you were a little kid.  I do remember usually taking a bag of candy for the party, most of the time a bag of the cheap chocolate bells or balls.

I do not remember exchanging gifts with the kids, mom and dad would of thought that was unnecessary.  I do remember usually taking something for the teacher.  I remember our rooms were always decorated and we usually always had a tree.  Usually we would make the decorations for our trees.

As far as Christmas plays I do not remember ever being in one.   I do remember we were attending a little church with my older cousin and her younger sister and myself sang Silent Night for the church.  Bless those peoples hearts, cause neither one of us could carry a tune. 

The first time I went caroling Jan was in her teens.  I was the Youth Leader at our church and we hopped in the vans and went.  It was a lot of fun.

I can't remember mom or dad hosting any parties, just was not their thing.

I guess that is it.  Not a lot of memories.  Hope all of you are getting into the Christmas spirit.  We are going to finish our decorations this afternoon.  We will be off to Arkansas next week.  Gotta enjoy Christmas with those grandbabies!  Merry Christmas everyone!

until next time... nel

4 comments:

  1. I don't remember a lot about school parties but I do remember loving the years my mom was a room mom. She used to alternate between my sister and I (she was a grade younger) and I always loved having my mom in my class. I'm glad you were able to to that for your daughter too.

    Have a nice weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bet it was so cute with you and your cousins singing Silent Night. I think everyone always enjoys little ones singing a favorite Christmas hymn like that!

    I know we always gave something to the teachers too at Christmas and sometimes there was a gift exchange where everyone would bring a gift and some game would be played to get a gift back.

    fun memories to read about (and I'm like you, I don't have lots of school memories either, must be our age :)

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's good that you were able to be there for your daughter's school parties. I never had a parent at mine either, but I always helped with my own children's.

    I know you are looking forward to getting back to Arkansas for Christmas :) Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love how you made such an effort to be at your daughter's school parties. And I'm sure y'all were precious singing Silent Night!

    Enjoy your trip!

    ReplyDelete