This weeks Random Dozen is being hosted by Southlakesmom over at I Didn’t Know THAT! She is springing in for Linda this week. That’s what we do here in the blog world.
It’s easy to see Southlakesmom has spring on her mind. If you would like to join us spring on over to her corner of the blog world at I Didn’t Know THAT! And link up. So without further adieu, the theme is spring . . . and any other random questions that crept in.
Now here is my Random Dozen for this week:
1. What is your favorite sign of Spring?
I love when the crocus and daffodils start blooming, the trees are budding, the birds are singing and everything is turning green.
2. Did you remember to spring forward on March 14? If not, how did it impact your day?
Yes, we remembered.
3. If soil, time, talent and climate were no problem, what vegetable would you plant in a garden this year?
Probably cucumbers, I know that sounds strange but of course I know you are dying to know why. First of all, I love to eat them when they are small right out of the garden. And there are just so many things you can do with them. I have a wonderful recipe for Fire and Ice Pickles that uses Hamburger Dills. They are so good!
Maybe the real reason I picked cucumbers is they remind me of my mom. She had a handy tip that no one else has ever heard of. You take a cucumber and cut off about ½ - 1 inch of the end that came off the vine. When cut take the two ends and rub them together for a few minutes. Most of the time a white thick like substance will appear while rubbing, sometimes it is slimy looking. Now wash them off, peel and pare to serve. This will take the bitterness out of your cucumbers.
4. Can’t wait to try it can you? If soil, time, talent and climate were no problem, what fruit would you plant?
Watermelon – who doesn’t love watermelon? It brings people together and brings a smile to everyone’s face. Nice cold watermelon on a hot day, nothing better. I love seeing people smile and enjoying each other.
5. What is your least favorite insect?
Red wasps, I hate them. There seems to be a lot of those in Arkansas, and boy do they hurt when they sting you. Here is another handy tip: I keep Meat Tenderizer in my medicine cabinet and first aid kit. It is the best thing for a wasp sting. I make a paste in the palm of my hand with tenderizer and water mixing it with my finger. I then place it on the sting and bandage it. By the next morning you can hardly tell you were stung. A friend of mine was actually told this by an Emergency Room Doctor. Her grandson had been swarmed after getting in a wasp nest under her deck. He told her to apply the paste then bring him in. He said it would slow down the poison, and it worked.
6. March 22 was World Water Day. To celebrate, here are some water questions. Do you drink bottled water? If so, what brand?
Very seldom do we get bottled water, however we did this week due to pipes that had froze and busted. We have not had water at our house in Arkansas.
7. Have you ever been somewhere that it was not safe to drink the local water? If so, how did you handle that?
I don’t ever remember being where the water was not safe to drink. I do remember a boil water order a time or two after they had a main water line break. And we just dealt with it; you do what you have to do.
8. How many glasses of water do you drink per day?
I am not a big water drinker, however I am drinking or trying to drink Liv Sxinney now. It gives the water a mint flavor, and has all kinds of nutrients and anti-oxidants that are good for you. Trying to drink 64 oz. a day, 8 – 8oz glasses a day.
9. March 24 is the birthday of Harry Houdini. Have you ever watched a professional magic show? Share.
I have never seen any professional magic shows or amateur ones for that matter. Magic has never interested me.
10. Have you ever been a participant in a professional magic show (up on stage!)?
11. March 24 is also the birthday of Steve McQueen and Clyde Barrow. Do you like Westerns or gangster movies? If so, what is your favorite?
Westerns hands down. Give me a Sam Elliott Western and I will sit back and enjoy. My hubby knows if Sam came along, I would ride off in the sunset with him, and I don’t even ride horses anymore.
12. (Really random) What U.S. state that you've never visited would you like to visit someday?
I would love to go to Virginia. My ancestors on my mom’s side settled there when they came from England. I would love to see what genealogical information I could find. I know it sounds boring, but oh it is not. It is so addicting!
Now wasn’t that a lot of fun! Don’t forget to join us this week and go over and link up!
Just a note: Having a wonderful time in Arkansas, even though we spent Friday evening in the Emergency Room with my daughter Janice. (She is ok. They think the pain is from ovarian cysts.) Then Stan was sick on Saturday, and I was sick Sunday night and Monday. We had a 24 hr bug. Eden Jade is getting so big and it is like talking to a 15 year old. She told me yesterday I was her bestest granny, how much better can you get? Yes, she already knows how to work it. Having a great time! Please forgive me if I do not comment this week, I will try to get caught up next week after we get home.
Until next time… nel
5 days ago