Friday, January 14, 2011

Memory Flashback...



It is that fun time of the week where Linda at Mocha with Linda shakes our memory banks and we see what falls out.  If you would like to join us click on her link above to get the full prompt or here is the basics:

This week we are remembering how strict our teachers were and the discipline that was given.


I was always a good kid, don’t remember ever getting in trouble for anything, you know I had that baby face and angel look going on. I was always quiet and shy, but believe me sometimes it is the quiet ones you have to look out for.


Teachers were fairly strict when I was in school, but the punishments were crazy. One that was used the most was sitting in the hallway or detention. Such a harsh punishment it got you out of class. A few of the teachers had rulers that they used, but they had to have the parent’s permission to hit the kids.


In 4th grade I had a teacher that would go off the deep end sometimes. He would clear his desk with one swipe and books and whatever else happened to be there would go flying across the room. If you were sitting up front you learned to duck and dodge the flying items. It is funny how you remember things; he also would dig in his ear with his finger and then smell it. GROSS!


In 6th grade the teacher I had loved plants and had a jungle in the back of the room, and everyone wanted to water his plants, therefore getting out of class work. He had a coat closet at the back of the room and if you were not paying attention or if you were talking he would send you to the coat closet. Sometimes there were two or three in there at the same time. There were a couple of the kids that were always being sent there, he never caught on that they liked each other. They would as we used to say make out in the closet.


I don’t remember our cafeteria ever being a problem. There were always plenty of teachers walking around to keep things under control. When I got in high school it was a little different, there were several truancy officers that were in the cafeteria and around the area since we were a closed campus and everyone tried to leave at lunchtime. My senior year I left the campus for lunch all the time. A friend would pick me up in front of the school; I always walked out the Administration Hall like it was what I was supposed to do. The angel face, it had to be the face, and the fact I did not act scared or like I was doing anything wrong. No one ever said anything to me about it.


By the time I was in high school paddling was pretty much a thing of the past unless it was for something really bad but they still had to have permission from the parents.


I was pretty much a goody two shoes in school. The teachers all liked me. I wish I would have applied myself better and enjoyed things more. I think high school is a hard time for everyone.


That’s all for this week…


Come back next week and see what Linda has for us. She is so good at this and really causes the memory bank to kick into overdrive. It is alot of fun and a great way to learn more about your blogging buddies or meet new ones!

until next time... nel

7 comments:

  1. I don't even want to tell you what gross thing the history teacher (and football coach) would do. Just too gross.
    Teachers definitely can't discipline the way they used to.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Enjoyed reading your memories today Nel...have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loved this post, most entertaining! Made my post seem rather "humdrum." :o)

    Wishing you a beautiful week-end!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That fourth grade teacher sounds absolutely grim. I would have been traumatized for life if I had been in a class where the teacher had a fit and swiped everything off of his desk. And the ear thing? Ewww!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was a goody two shoes too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The ear thing is so funny.
    My husband always remember a teacher who sould moisten her fingers and then with index and little one simultaneously smooth/straghten/'fix' her eye brows. (Hard to explain, funny to see him imitate ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. That fourth grade teacher does sound scary! I can't imagine having to duck flying materials let loose by a TEACHER. Yikes!

    ReplyDelete