Tuesday, June 22, 2010

On The Road...

We attended a birthday party in Juniata, Nebraska on the 12th. We surprised our sister-in-law, she had no idea we were coming. Stan’s twin, Rocky, kinda thought we were coming but he did not tell Kathy. What a blessing to see the look on her face when she saw us. That alone was worth the trip! Kathy has been taking treatments for cancer and is now on oxygen. She has lost around 150 lbs. Please remember her and Rocky and the family in your prayers.

Our plans were to stay a couple nights then head home, but we ended up staying all week. We love living without a schedule! We stayed with his sister and visited with Kathy and Rocky during the day. It was a wonderful trip, one that we will never regret.

One evening Stan and I took a drive out on the dirt roads. I wanted to take some pictures of the sun setting. We found the perfect spot, parked and waited. I was standing out with my camera waiting on the sun to go down having a conversation with our Lord. Yes, I believe we can have conversations with Him. I don’t think it has to be some elaborate prayer; we can talk to Him like we talk to a friend. And if we really listen I believe we can hear his voice. I thought how neat it would be to see a deer in the field. And in a few moments I glanced over and I thought I saw something in the distance. Excitement started building and I thought Is that really a deer?” And it raised its head and started trotting towards me in the field. When it stopped to graze I knew that it definitely was a deer. I automatically started thanking Him and praising Him. It was so awesome; I had cold chills and tears running down my cheeks. I felt like I had an encounter with our Heavenly Father!


“I will sing of the mercies of the LORD for ever: with my mouth will I make known thy faithfulness to all generations.” Psalm 89:1

By this time the sun had started sinking so I began taking pictures. It was beautiful. When I finished the deer was gone, or so I thought. When I returned to the car I told Stan about the deer so we decided to ride a little further down the road. I had him stop because there were some pretty flowers, and when I turned back around there in the distance was the deer in the road.

It was almost as if it was teasing me or tempting me. It would walk a little ways then turn around and look at me.

I followed it with Stan following in the car for a ½ mile. It was unbelievable. It would stop and I would keep walking and it would just watch me.

It was so pretty; I ended up getting pretty close to it.

It finally ran across the road into the field. It stood there watching us as we drove by. It was amazing



Thinking back on this encounter now, it makes me think how easy it is to be tempted and led astray. There are so many things in this world that look ok on the outside but if you really dig deeper they are not what they appear to be. What would I have done if that deer would of charged toward me? We need to be careful in this world. Satan is all around us. Each one of us needs to make sure we are on the right path and that we have a personal relationship with our Lord Jesus Christ!


“Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour:”
1 Peter 5:8

until next time... nel

6 comments:

  1. I love deer :) Although, they can a bit pushy and try to eat anything your holding/wearing haha, but they are just so beautiful!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! That is SO NEAT! Beautiful sunset, too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Nel! I love the picture of it scampering away from you, its legs so gangly! :-)
    So glad you were able to spend some wonderful time with your sister-in-law!
    Truly the Lord is mindful of us and so good to us!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful deer!!

    Thank you so very much for your prayers, encouragement, and support.

    Blessings,
    andrea

    ReplyDelete
  5. How beautiful. God talkes to us in such wonderful language. I think it shows us how God is leading us if we will just rely on Him and not ourselves. DD

    ReplyDelete
  6. I admire your and your husband's "living without a schedule"; also your trust in God and knowledge of the Psalms.

    The story and pictures featuring the deer - just lovely!

    ReplyDelete