Friday, May 27, 2016

Leaving a Legacy

The ‘Random House Webster’s College Dictionary defines Legacy as:
  1. (in a will) a gift of property, esp. personal property, as money; bequest.
  2. anything handed down from the past, as from an ancestor or predecessor
In this post I am going to look at the 2nd part of this definition.  I think this relates to how you lived your life, what was important to you.  I believe the legacy my mom and dad left was:  always work hard and love your spouse no matter what.  Family is important.  Remember everyone has feelings.

Have you ever thought about what kind of legacy you will leave?  So many people worry about leaving money or material things, such as land, antiques, vehicles, etc.  But is that really important?  Sure if you are able to do that, it is wonderful, however there are so many things that are more important.

I guess what really made me think about it was a couple of funerals I attended.  One was a year or so ago and there were only a handful of people there and 2 flower arrangements.  I have to say it broke my heart, but I thought about the person and I fully understood the situation.  She was a handful and did not really have a pleasant disposition.  I personally had no problems with her but others not so much.

Recently I attended my 2nd cousin's funeral.  I personally had only seen her a handful of times but oh my I knew what kind of person she was by the legacy she left.  There were over 300 at the visitation and standing room only at the service.  (The chapel seated approx 300 people.) The flowers, oh, they were so beautiful!  You could hear sniffles throughout the room, Karla was only 48 years old and had lost her battle with cancer, but you could feel the love, and the love she had for her Lord.  She was interested in starting a Bible Study at her home just a week or two before she passed on.  Yes, family especially her close family will miss her deeply, but without a doubt they will see her again, if they are right with the Lord. She loved life, but more importantly she loved the Lord!  Even though I had not seen Karla since we were kids, I feel like I knew her.  What a legacy she has left...And that my friends is the kind of legacy I hope to leave!

How about you, what kind of Legacy do you want to leave?  Do you have a personal relationship with Jesus?

'But lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust doth corrupt, and where thieves do not break through nor steal: For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also.'   Matthew 6:20-21

until next time...nel



No comments:

Post a Comment